Puremix Tutorials: Andrew Scheps Inside The Mix - Red Hot Chili Peppers -
2hr32 Tutorial Video & Multitrack Stems
This is your chance to see how Grammy-winning engineer/producer Andrew Schepsmixed the legendary rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers' song "Pink as Floyd".
Learn how a multi-platinum mix engineer collaborated with the band and producer Rick Rubin to record and mix the group in both large-format studios and home studios.
Hear how he captured the band’s characteristically funky and energetic vibe then translated that into a punchy and finished mix. Andrew teaches you how he applies and adapts his mix template to craft the mix quickly with dynamics and vibe.
Andrew dissects his final mixing session and shows you how to:
- Combine close mics, overheads, and room mics to create a cohesive sound to the drums as one instrument
- Use shared compression for a night and day difference on the drum tone and add dynamics to the entire arrangement
- Take a mix from sounding "awesome" to sounding "finished"
- Setup mix bus processing to do more with less in terms of processing
- Get Flea's signature bass tone using a combination of mics and DI
- Make acoustic and electric guitars sit perfectly in the mix
- Use both subtractive and additive EQ to enhance the sound of individual tracks
- Add creative special effects to spice up the bridge and take it into a new space
- Keep the Anthony Kiedis’ lead vocals sounding present and powerful even when the mix is dense and layered
- Judge and tweak the gain stage the entire mix based on the 2 bus compressor
- Use stereo width manipulation with hard panning to make a great stereo image in headphones and speakers alike
Pick up dozens of tips and tricks from Andrew's decades of experience and learn the process and mixing system he uses on one of the most successful bands ever.
BONUS: Download the exercise files and practice mixing the song for yourself! The artist and their label were gracious enough to allow pureMixers the chance to try their hand at mixing a portion of the song using the same raw multitrack stems Andrew mixed. Put your skills to the test and apply some of your new found techniques.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.