VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 -
Grand Piano Virtual Instrument
Ravenscroft 275 is a one-of-a-kind concert grand that has been recreated using nearly 17,000 samples and 4 discrete microphones, controlled from an easy to use interface. VI Labs' goal was to emulate all aspects of the 275's detailed voice using the latest sampling technology and let this amazing piano speak with clarity. The result: a virtual piano like no other.
Reproducing the tone and playability of a concert grand like the 275 Titanium is no easy task. Precise playing velocities plus complex harmonic interactions and details are carefully sampled and then controlled by a powerful script and engine. Control is similar to a modeled virtual piano but entirely sample-based. Touch response is consistent no matter the controller used. All while keeping your resource usage minimal and offering fast load times.
It's one piano that works for all styles. And gorgeous detail is abundant. Crystal clear hammer attacks, unique Muted Strikes, staccato Release Trails, lush Una Corda, and sampled Resonance lead to a level of realism previously unobtainable in a virtual piano. If the usual piano tones have worn out their welcome and it's time for the unique, the Ravenscroft 275 may be the one. This is truly the pianist's virtual piano.
- Nearly 17,000 samples of the one-of-a-kind Model 275 Titanium concert grand, accurately simulated in this virtual instrument.
- Officially approved and authorized by the makers of Ravenscroft Pianos
- 100% sample-based, no modeling or synthesis used
- Very efficient use of RAM and CPU resources
- 4 discrete Microphone Perspectives available
- Fully sampled Una Corda pedal
- Sympathetic and Pedal Resonance
- Adjustable Sympathetic Resonance polyphony
- Repedal and True Pedal Action for realistic sustain pedal control
- Half-pedal mode is sample-based and fully adjustable
- Muted Strikes which offer a unique tone
- Customizable MIDI and Dynamics response
- 22 pristine Convolution Reverbs included
- Thousands of Release samples, including true Stacatto Releases
- 19 total velocity layers including Silent Strike samples
- Powerful Stereo Width and Timbre Shift controls
- Custom tuning with presets and micro-tuning supported
- Lossless FLAC format allows highest quality with smallest drive space requirements and fast loading times.
- Computer-based activation. Use on up to 3 machines, no dongle required!
Serial 275004: Ravenscroft Titanium
Ravenscroft Pianos are designed and built by Michael Spreeman at his company in Scottsdale, Arizona. After working with renowned jazz pianist and composer Bob Ravenscroft on a custom performance piano built to satisfy Bob's highest demands and expressiveness, Mr. Spreeman formed Spreeman Piano Innovations to build the exclusive line of Ravenscroft Pianos, named after the composer. Each handmade Ravenscroft grand takes well over 1,000 hours to complete which is about four times that of a factory built piano, and each can be built specifically to a customer's requests or for a specific design or location.
Mr. Spreeman had been seeing trends in how a large part of the piano world was becoming digital, and realistic sampling along with ever faster computers enable acoustic piano sounds to become easier to emulate. It was imperative for Mr. Spreeman to have his signature Ravenscroft voice captured for the most accurate 'simulator' possible. VI Labs worked with Ravenscroft Pianos at every step of the process to sample their 275 Titanium and do tests so we captured the perfect tone that satisfied the virtual and acoustic instrument makers both. A priority for Ravenscroft was finding the right team to sample their piano because of the expected level of accuracy and realism. With our detailed knowledge of acoustic pianos and recording methods plus complex scripting utilizing the UVI engine, we were able to create the officially licensed Ravenscroft 275 library that truly emulates the voice of the Ravenscroft 275 concert grand.
The Model 275 Titanium was built to be a concerto piano and have the power to sing over a full orchestra but still handle the most delicate passages with ease and clarity. Sitka spruce from a 1,000-year-old tree was used for the soundboard, the action is CAD optimized to be responsive and balanced to precise tolerances, and all string termination points are of solid titanium which contribute to its brilliance and long sustain. Front and rear tuned duplex scale further adds to the brilliance and sparkle. It responds with the agility of a fine sports car. And most important for the virtual instrument, tonal possibilities and depth of voicing with the Model 275 Titanium seem limitless. The bass is deep with a pronounced fundamental, the tenor is pure and rich, and the treble retains clear overtones and can be as bright as you want just in how you play without ever sounding edgy or brittle. The sustaining sound evolves beautifully over time with several notable 'blooms'. Overall there is brightness and definition but it keeps a warm quality at all times even when it's played fortissimo in any register.
According to Mr. Spreeman, "Although our sound is very clean and pure, it's also multi-dimensional. I strive for multiple layers, or dimensions, of complex harmonics that can be heard, sensed, and felt without sacrificing a strong emphasis on a bold fundamental tone."
A Studio At Your Fingertips
When recording a great piano in the studio, you want options. Versatility in microphone setups is needed to cover any playing style or mix without being limited to one basic tone. Plus the microphone selection and placement in and around the piano affect the stereo image and what tonal aspects of the piano are being recorded.
The four discrete phase-aligned mic setups of the Ravenscroft 275 accurately capture its unique voice in exquisite detail and can be used individually or mixed in any way. World-class mics and preamps were used throughout. Tones from close and intimate, diffuse and distant, warm or brilliant, all can be achieved with one or more of these mics. Load the samples you want and activate or deactivate mics without having to unload and reload the samples. This is the Ravenscroft 275 virtual piano studio.
Real Sympathetic Resonances
Pianists are well accustomed to the aspect known as sympathetic resonance that occurs in acoustic pianos and its importance to the sustain and how chords resolve. It binds all notes together as one instrument. Sympathetic resonance is heard among harmonically related keys held and others played, while pedal down resonance occurs as all strings vibrate together when the damper pedal is pressed adding to the overall sustain.
Both pedal down and harmonic key pedal up resonances are sample-based and not synthesized in any way. We believe this important component of the piano's tone is best emulated only with real samples. The Ravenscroft's multi-dimensional resonances have been precisely sampled and scripted for both types of advanced resonance simulations responding naturally like the real grand, all fully adjustable.
Complete Pedal Control
The pedals of a grand piano must be responsive and give precise control of the dampers by using the Sustain and Sostenuto pedals plus allow you to sweeten the tonal colors with the Una Corda or soft pedal. Ravenscroft 275 works with a single on/off pedal for basic sustain, or you can use all three pedals including piano-style continuous damper pedals for smooth Half-pedal control plus Sostenuto and Una Corda functions.
The Sostenuto works just like a grand piano and is perfect for triggering Sympathetic Resonance samples on notes held by this pedal. Repedal is fully supported and a crucial function to blur phrases and blend the sustained tone if the pedal is lifted and depressed quickly. Other options like half-pedal range settings and custom CC assignments for any function offer a level of control discerning pianists will appreciate.
- Complete Sound Control - Customize your microphone mix further with powerful sound controls like Timbre Shift along with high-quality convolution reverbs.
- Mute Strikes - Load these unique samples with the strings muted gives a very short percussive attack. Switch from Mutes to normal in real time.
- Release Trails - Thousands of detailed Release Trail samples including true staccato samples are fully controllable and add great dimension.
- Una Corda Samples - An amazingly lush Una Corda soft pedal sound, deeply sampled including over a thousand discrete Una Corda release samples.
- MIDI Response and Tuning - Intuitive controls for MIDI and volume response deliver a great feel with any controller. Choose and create custom tunings from the Tuning Panel.
- Advanced Features - Control every component of the sound including sampled Key and Pedal noises, Silent Strikes as well as control of the dynamics along with pedal assignments and polyphony.
Free Sample Player
Ravenscroft 275 comes with its own sample player, the UVI Workstation 3 (requires v3.0.0 or later). VI Labs provide it for free with every library that you buy, you don't need to buy an expensive sampler to use their products.
UVI Workstation works on Mac (10.7 or later) and PC (Windows 7 or later), in standalone or as a plugin (VST / AU / AAX) and in 64 bits only and is compatible with all modern daws.
For complete step-by-step instructions and video on how to download and install the Ravenscroft 275 library and UVI Workstation, please visit our website at vilabsaudio.com/support. This is to ensure you get the most accurate and latest install instructions as we and UVI release product updates or any other changes occur.
- 6 GB free disk space (5.32 GB actual size needed)
- Mac OSX 10.7 or greater or Windows 7 or higher in both 32 and 64bits
- UVI Workstation 2.5.8 or greater (free download) or Falcon
- Minimum CPU requirements: Intel Core 2 Duo System (Intel Core is preferred for best performance)
- 7200rpm hard drive (Solid State Drive (SSD) preferred for best performance)
- 4GB of RAM
- VST, AAX and AU Plug-ins and standalone mode supported
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.