VSL Vienna Instruments: Dimension Strings I -
Ensemble Strings Virtual Instruments
Inspired by Human Nature
Vienna Dimension Strings I opens a new chapter in the history of sampling technology. The recordings in Vienna's famed Silent Stage started as early as the fall of 2008. With a total of more than 830,000 samples, recorded in four years at our Silent Stage, it is by far the most ambitious and intensive production in the history of the Vienna Symphonic Library. To put these numbers in perspective: Since the foundation of the company in 2000, we have published more than two million samples, covering nearly every instrument of the symphonic orchestra and more.
The 24 string players of Vienna Dimension Strings I were recorded in homogeneous groups (8 violins, 6 violas, 6 cellos, and 4 double basses), capturing all of the human interactions and slight imperfections of a live performance, but this time we've used individual microphones for each player, which allows you to access each voice individually.
Creating Your Personal String Sound
We've even recorded each string of each instrument in its full range (approximately one octave plus a fifth), and with the included presets you may easily decide whether to have the musicians play on all strings (with a change to the next string in fifth intervals), or forced playing on a certain string. You can also choose to play with no open strings. Getting a darker or brighter string sound has never been easier and more flexible. What’s more, the technique of individual microphone placement is perfectly suited for divisi writing! For the violins, preset setups for two groups of four players and four desks of two players are provided.
Stunning Realism Through Imperfection
Over the last decade, sample libraries have become more and more "perfect", sometimes at the expense of human feel. In reality, even the best musicians never play in perfect unison; one makes a change a little slower, another faster, but maybe with more dynamics, and so on. When playing as a group, musicians continually adapt, matching timbre, intensity, vibrato, intonation, bow speed, and more. All these interactions happen automatically in a good ensemble, led by a good conductor, and reveal the "magic" of a live performance.
With Vienna Dimension Strings I, individual changes in dynamic levels of the players within a group can be achieved easily with velocity crossfades. You may even designate one or two "weak" musicians to play sloppy notes, with hesitant or delayed starts, for instance.
With our Vienna Instruments player and its Auto Humanization feature, all kinds of nuances and variations are possible while simply playing the keyboard. The result sounds absolutely striking!
- Four string sections of 8 violins, 6 violas, 6 cellos, and 4 double basses.
- Recorded in groups, but with individual microphones for each player, for unlimited individual performance flexibility.
- The full play range of each string was captured (one octave plus a fifth).
- Over 830,000 samples!
- Unprecedented variety of articulations
- Three different sustains: Vibrato, non-vibrato (fully controllable via crossfades!), and espressivo/progressive vibrato (increasing the vibrato to maximum intensity).
- Legato Performances, Portamento Performances, Trill Performances (legato, marcato), Repetition Performances (legato, portato, staccato, spiccato, various crescendos).
- Various tremolo variations: Normal, with fast attack, and "slow-motion tremolos".
- Pizzicato, snap pizzicato and col legno.
- "Harsh” articulations: Brutally forced fortissimo sounds with short articulations, included as the loudest velocity layer with Repetition Performances of staccato, portato, and spiccato playing techniques.
- Finger noises as separately recorded sounds from shifting positions on the fingerboard make for a more realistic sonic impression in combination with single note samples.
- Various ambient noises, recorded for each individual player, such as breathing, positioning/depositioning of the instrument, chair noises when leaning back and forth, browsing sheet music (in three dynamic levels!).
- Individual Timbre and Ultimate Realism
- Sculpt your ensemble sound by adjusting level and position in the mix for each player, or desk, in order to create your personal string sound.
- Assign individual controllers such as velocity crossfade and/or expression for each player for realistic dynamic changes and customized balance within the ensemble.
- Ready-made presets for selecting the individual strings of each player of a group –“force strings” (all notes will be performed on the preferred string, e.g., for the violins: G, D, A, E), "avoid open strings" and "use open strings".
- Perfectly adjusted vibrato/non-vibrato articulations with unlimited crossfade possibilities (available for sustains, Legato, and Portamento Performances) – for an ideal sonic impression, especially in quiet passages.
- Mix articulations within the ensemble (e.g., desk 1 with vibrato, desk 2 without vibrato).
- Free positioning of individual players or desks on a virtual stage (e.g., when using Vienna MIR PRO or Vienna MIR PRO 24).
Advanced features with Vienna Instruments
- Instant Human Performance Control within the ensemble – timing, and intonation of each player can be adjusted individually.
- Divisi sections with flexible groupings, e.g., 4 desks with 2 players each or 2 groups with 4 players each for the violin section.
- Extensive Phrase Archive (host-tempo-synced) for Vienna Instruments internal APP (Auto Playback and Pattern) Sequencer: Runs, trills, arpeggios, phrases in all scales and modes, with optimized phrasing randomization of each player.
- Sample Amount: 832,908
- Download File Size: 102.0 GB
- Installed File Size: 175.8 GB
- MacOS 10.13 High Sierra and above
- Windows 8.1 and above (64-bit only)
- Intel Core i3 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU or better
- 8GB RAM or more (16GB or more recommended)
- 175GB free storage space
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- iLok Machine and iLok USB licensing methods are supported
AAX Native, AU, VST2
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.