VSL Synchron Timpani I -
Timpani Virtual Instrument
Synchron Timpani I features the five Adams Artist Alpha timpani (20", 23", 26", 29", and 32") of the Synchron Percussion I Collection.
In the distant past, timpani were employed as cavalry instruments and played on horseback. Around 1670 they found their way into the orchestra, and since then have become the centerpiece of the percussion section. They are often used for emphasis and to fortify the orchestra’s bass range.
5 Instruments – 12 Microphones
All instruments were recorded using 12 microphones. You may select from four microphone positions (Standard Library) or seven different microphone positions (Full Library) and mix them to your liking, directly in the Vienna Synchron Player. Use the included and perfectly fine-tuned presets as a starting point for your own sonic creations. The performances in Stage A were captured in stereo using a Decca tree, and additional microphone arrays were utilized for 5.1 surround and Auro 3D 9.1.
Microphone Positions of the Full Library:
- Close Mic – Mono
- Mid Layer Mic – Stereo (L/R)
- Main/Room Mic – Decca Tree Stereo (L/R)
- Main/Room Mic – Decca Tree Mono (Center)
- Main Surround – Stereo (L/R)
- High Stereo (3D) – Stereo (L/R)
- High Surround (3D) – Stereo (L/R)
- Standard Library includes positions 1-4.
100 Hours of Sample Recordings
Our team worked meticulously during more than thirty three-hour recording sessions in order to capture the five timpani in every subtle detail. This was only made possible by our owning, storing and recording these instruments at our own scoring stage – Synchron Stage Vienna. The natural volume envelopes and the sonic character of the instruments remained untouched during recording and editing. Using Vienna Synchron Player, you may shape your individual sound and select your ideal ambience from various microphone positions.
The instruments were recorded at Stage A of our Synchron Stage Vienna. This 540 m2 (5,813 sq.ft.) hall has proven to be a remarkable space, not only for film music recordings, but also for sampling sessions. It is characterized by a lush and warm sound and a perfect localization of the instruments, with a reverb time of 1.6 to 1.8 seconds, and with no masking effect in the low frequencies, as often happens with large halls. The colossal room-in-room construction, built upon a massive concrete foundation, combined with sound insulation and a specially designed air conditioning system, results in a ridiculously low noise-floor of 16 dBA, even with the air conditioner running!
Unprecedented Variety of Timbres and Articulations
We’ve recorded five different sizes of timpani (20", 23", 26", 29", and 32"), over the maximum playable range (all together approximately two octaves) – which means that you may choose from up to three different timpani to achieve any given pitch. Sixteen velocity levels were captured in four “open” variants, with additional “secco” (stopped release of a hit) and “coperto” (damped membrane) articulations adding up to a staggering 128 different single hits per pitch and per timpani.
Rolls: We’ve captured rolls in 16 velocities as well as various dynamics, such as crescendos and diminuendos, in four different lengths. Thanks to our new release sample technology, even crescendo and diminuendo rolls may be stopped at any time, with the perfectly matching release sample being triggered.
Glissandos: Single-stroke glissandos were recorded up to a major sixth interval, at three different speeds.
Glissando Rolls: The single-stroke glissandos are topped by so-called Performance Interval Rolls that enable true legato playing up to a fifth, over the complete range of each timpani. Of course, these rolls are based on our new release sample technology, so you can play them for any length of time.
Auro 3D is an immersive audio technology that allows for three-dimensional sound perception. The Belgian company Auro Technologies developed this technology based on a special speaker configuration, adding four additional speakers to a 5.1 surround configuration. These speakers (so-called “Heights”) are situated above the front and surround speakers and generate acoustic reflections that are perceived naturally due to the fact that sounds originate from around as well as from above the listener. Thanks to the comprehensive selection of discrete audio channels of Synchron Timpani I (Full Library) you may mix your instruments in Auro 3D as well as in Dolby Atmos.
- Five Adams timpani from the Synchron Percussion I collection (20", 23", 26", 29", 32")
- Recorded at the 540 m2 (5,813 sq.ft.) Stage A of Synchron Stage Vienna
- More than 80,800 Samples (Full Library)
- 80 GB of installed sample data
- 100 hours recording time
- Phenomenal sound with 1.6 to 1.8 seconds of natural reverb time
- All instruments captured with 12 microphones (Full Library)
- 3D Sound (Full Library) – mix in stereo, 5.1 surround, Auro 3D or Dolby Atmos
- Up to 128 samples per pitch and per hit
- Unique release sample technology for crescendo and diminuendo rolls
- New: Performance Interval Rolls – play true legato (roll) lines up to a fifth interval
- Free Vienna Ensemble mixing host and Vienna Synchron Player included
- Includes presets of well-balanced microphone setups for Vienna Synchron Player
- Sample Amount: 46,204
- Download File Size: 10.9 GB
- Installed File Size: 31.5 GB
- Sample Amount: 80,857
- Download File Size: 24.1 GB
- Installed File Size: 75.7 GB
- MacOS 10.10.5 Yosemite and above
- Windows 8.1 or 10 (64-bit only)
- 16GB RAM or more (32GB or more recommended)
- 31.5GB free storage space for Standard Library
- 75.7GB free storage space for Full Library
- SSD for sample content
- Vienna Key or other USB eLicenser (Soft-eLicensers and iLoks are NOT supported)
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.